4th TT Chess Composition Microweb C 1.3.2000
Some people know, most of them don't know, but one of my most favourite fairy conditions is Patrol chess. This may be well documented by the number of my works that use it. Also, many of them are among my very best compositions. The happy coincidence of this announcement's date and PCCC congress beginning date gave me an idea: now it is the time to start TT, that will be well popularizing Patrol chess, I hope Peter Gvozdják would be able to do good job advertising it on PCCC congress in Netanya...
Chess Composition Microweb (maintained by Juraj Lörinc) announces formal thematical tourney for any kind of problems in Patrol chess with mate obtained by patrolling of the unit, that already threatened King before mating move, but it didn't give check as it wasn't patrolled. Any further fairy conditions and/or fairy pieces are allowed.
Judge: Juraj Lörinc.
Entries should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
before March 1st 2000. (or possibly by snail mail to Michal Dragoun, Amforová 1899, 155 00 PRAHA, Czech Republic, but e-mail is preferred). The award will be published at Chess Composition Microweb and
there is also possibility of paper printed form.
Please, let know your friends about our competition!
Study them and read the comments written by judge personally (eh, it's me, Juraj Lörinc, who else :-)), they can guide you well during preparing the entries that can gain top places.
- #2 with quadruple chess provocation - and all mates are thematical. Official example, but there is no need to think that I'll prefer one-phase "orthodox" twomovers.
- #2 with lion family and Kiss theme - also le Grand theme is present, but especially Kiss theme is highly Patrol specific and mates in variations 1...RLf4 and 1...RLe4 are thematical. This good work would probably could have won in the competition with other examples. But I am not good composer in longer genres, I like watching and studying them. Maybe later I'll compose them too...
- #2 with grasshoppers - reciprocal change, with Patrol chess mechanism working well, from the 4th TT CCM point of view the mates are all thematical, but a bit artificial as knight mates all only cover a7 - black King could have been staying there. When thematical mating moves cover different units giving check, it is better. But final ranking will depend on the whole quality of composition too, not only multiplying thematical mates, naturally, and here one must regret also the poor role of grasshoppers.
- s#10 - one of my rare good moremove problems. The only thematical mate, but everything fits in perfectly, note also the "almost-thematical" checks by white King patrolled by Queen's move.
- h#2 with DO-echo - two thematical mates by doublecheck (one half beeing thematical, second beeing not - but this is claimed thematical by me, of course, final authority) with active pin of black knight. This could have finished very high.
- h#2 with grasshoppers - again two thematical mates by doublecheck, this time mating move patrols both checking grasshoppers and again with active pin of black unit, this time bishop.
- complicated r#2 - two mates are thematical, in variations 1...Sxb5 and 1...Se4. Note the question above diagram - here we are with TT dedicated to Patrol chess :-).
- h#3 with DO-echo - both mates are clearly thematical, DO-echo is well unified, but motivation is very simple and construction isn't probably the best.
- logical r#5 - the only mate appearing here is thematical.
- geometrical #5 - threat mate is thematical, variation mate isn't. One can imagine scheme with wRh5 that would by patrolled by move Kg5, but it is probably too hard to achieve.
- #2 with twinning - mates in variation 1...Ka2 in both positions are thematical and together with keys form so-called Salazar, not very valuable by itself, but nice, when combined with other themes or multiplied enough. Many letter themes are possible, but often the motivation have value by itself.
- hybrid h#2 - in b) there is thematical mate for 4th TT CCM - Rb2 is indirectly patrolled by pawn move opening Bh8. Mate is given by doublecheck, but it doesn't matter when considering whether it is thematical or not.
- #2 with 4-fold Kiss theme - only threat and 1 variation in try are thematical. Although it is probably good fairy twomover, it would be not very suitable fot 4th TT CCM!
- #2 with Kiss theme - again only one threat and one variation are thematical and again not very suitable #2 for 4th TT CCM. I am not against letter themes, no, I like them, but these two are simply not thematical enough for this TT.
Finally we have the award. Many thanks go this time to Michal Dragoun who agreed to act as a tourney director and did his job very seriously and precisely. We had 11 competing problems. I again read my remarks given above about examples and I must confess that final ranking goes against a few of them: 1st and 3rd Prizes have thematical mates patrolling the same unit on the same square, 1st Prize is one-phase twomover, etc. But I kept my word to judge on total impression that particular problem made on me and especially with Prizes I am really satisfied. Thus the tourney was successful thanks to the following authors that submitted their problems:
And here are the winners:
- Reto Aschwanden (Switzerland)
- Gerard Bouma (Netherlands)
- Anatolij Chandurin (Ukraina)
- Michel Caillaud (France)
- Michal Dragoun (Czech Republic)
- Henryk Grudzinski (Poland)
- Valerij Nebotov (Ukraina)
- Hans Peter Rehm (Germany)
- Sergej Smotrov (Kazakhstan)
Award by Juraj Lörinc
Send any claims against this award directly to Juraj Lörinc before the end of June 2000, please.
As no essential claims were received, the award becomes final.
Again many thanks to everyone who helped tourney success in whichever way. We also invite you to take part in 5rd TT Chess Composition Microweb.
Back to main page of Chess Composition Microweb.